Who is this 'Matt Gibson' guy?
Owner and sole teacher at Matt Gibson drums, I have been playing drums since the ripe old age of 8 (well… more tapping with chop sticks on pots and pans in the kitchen) and teaching in studios since I was 15.
Throughout high school I completed all 4 levels of the AMEB drum kit examinations, then came to Brisbane to study music in 2009. It was at this point that I chose to study business – deciding that I would be able to play drums regardless of a piece of paper. Since then I have worked in the industry in either educational, sales, events or marketing/advertising fields. Currently I had up the percussion program at Brisbane Christian College, teach out of my private home studio in Seven Hills and play for national touring band Young Lions.
I have always loved and played a wide variety of music and the artists on my Spotify history is evidence of that – scrolling through you will find everything from Nat King Cole, Marvin Gaye, John Mayer and the Beatles to Earth Wind & Fire, Rage Against the Machine, Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers.
In my drumming career I have had the privilege of touring around Australia with my own bands (currently touring with Young Lions) as well as freelance touring for Dream on Dreamer, Wafia and Youth Alive Band. During these tours I have had the honour to share stages with a whole host of bands including:
- Stan Walker
- Short Stack (2x whole Australian tours)
- Silverstein (whole Australian tour)
- Taking Back Sunday (whole Australian tour)
- In Hearts Wake (2x whole Australian tours)
- Shihad (Whole Australian Tour)
- Vancouver Sleep Clinic (whole Australian tour)
- Red Jumpsuit Apparatus (whole Australian tour)
- Hands Like Houses (whole Australian tour)
- The Almost (whole Australian tour)
- Being as an Ocean (whole Australian tour)
- Antiskeptic (whole Australian tour)
- Bayside (whole Australian tour)
- Senses Fail
- Drawing North